When it comes to vaping and traveling ( especially flying ), it pays to do your homework beforehand. I have heard this question asked a million times, can you bring a vape on a plane? While it is a very common question asked online, there is little detailed information about it.
I know from personal experience when traveling to Bali, that bringing your vape along with you when traveling is important. I had the fear of picking up the unhealthy habit of smoking again if I couldn’t bring my vape with me. Please read on to find out if you can and if so, what restrictions are put in place.
When the time comes to pack your bags and head to the airport, the last thing that you want to be worrying about is if you can bring your vapes on a plane in 2018. Gone are the days when airport security were lenient towards inconspicuous items that you might have in your carry-on. New counter-terrorism laws have made it much harder to bring certain liquids, aerosols and electronic devices on an airplane.
Can You Bring A Vape On A Plane?
Can you bring a vape on a plane? The short answer is yes in most cases, but there can be some restrictions. Depending on where you live or plan to holiday too. Britain, Australia and the United States all have very similar rules in place, but its best to double check to see if the following applies to you.
- It is recommended to carry your vaping gear on your person or carry-on luggage.
- Your mod, tank, and eliquid should be sealed in clear plastic ziplock bags. This makes it easier for security to see what’s inside. It also reduces the chance of any mess caused while in flight.
- You may need to take your lithium batteries out of your mod to be inspected by security before proceeding onto your flight. It is recommended that you put them back into your during the flight ie. no free roaming batteries in your bag. The reason behind this is that on rare occasions if your lithium battery malfunctions it can cause a fire or bodily harm.
- Your device should be turned off throughout the entire flight to make sure it doesn’t accidentally fire.
- Your liquid bottles will generally need to be less than 100ml to pass through security. If you have for example a 200ml bottle but only have 100ml of liquid in it they would usually ask you to throw it out.
- You should have little to no juice in your tank while flying as the cabin pressure can push your eliquid out of your airflow holes and this can make for a big mess.
Can You Bring Vape Juice On A Plane
Most airlines these days have liquid limits. These can range from 30ml to 100ml per container. Make sure you check to see if any countries you’re transiting through have banned e-liquid or vaporizers. Similarly, you will want to find out your airline’s specific limits on the liquid in bottles before you fly.
All liquids need to be put in individual clear zip lock bags to pass through security. Some countries also limit the total amount of liquid you can bring on the plane ie. Britain allows up to 1 liter total of liquid.
Can You Vape On A Plane?
You, unfortunately, can’t vape or smoke on any plane. If you do, this is called ‘stealth vaping‘, which many vapers have claimed to do in restaurants, movies and even on airplanes. Even if you were to use a vapor masking device, you may still trigger a smoke alarm. I personally don’t think it is worth the trouble. If you do end up getting caught you could be facing fines upwards of $3,500 USD.
Most airports offer a smoking area that you can vape at to your heart’s content. So unless you’re prepared to suffer the consequences, you should wait until you have reached a designated smoking area.
Comment below what your experiences have been like when bringing a vape on a plan.